Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Classic Romance/Angst: Persuasion

This one I started reading because I bought the book as part of my Jane Austen collection. I got bored with the first few pages the first time I read it, then decided to read it again today.

This time, I kinda skimmed through those boring first pages (I'll read them with greater interest next time, but for now my excuse was that I've already read those) and then I didn't stop til I reached the finish. At one point I had to stop because... wait for it... I squealed like a giddy teenager watching a kissing scene in her favorite cheesy flick. Yeah, something like that.

This is because it's not just angst that hooks me into a certain story. Romance also does it. I am so into Pride and Prejudice, if you must know (I may write about that someday). If it has a healthy dose of angst (meaning not enough to make me want to kill myself, but enough to squeeze my heart) then it's a lovely combination.

Sweet romance + an edge of bitter angst = Happy Zmeyette! Hahaha

Wow, it's kinda scary to be making a sort-of-review for something that I know literary scholars have studied over years. But I really enjoyed reading Persuasion, and since I come from the Romance/Angst point of view from now, I'll say that I really love Anne Elliot. I love Elizabeth Bennet the most, but Anne Elliot is running a close second in my heart.

Am I so evil as to liking the fact that for the most part of the novel, Anne's conflicts and pain are hers and something she usually cannot share to others? Those knowing glances, statements with underlying meanings, secrets, and a quite painful past, these are things that I really enjoy, and stuff that I found in the novel. A heroine whose value is not properly acknowledged is something that I like too, and something that Anne Elliot has in common with my beloved Elizabeth Bennet. When you have a character like Anne's, it makes you feel something along the lines of, "Ha! You think she's not important or fine, but I know better." I don't think I explained it well, but that's basically it.

Of course, you gotta love the prince charming as well. The prince charming who was deemed unfit for Anne Elliot, also has angst on his part. Imagine being turned down not because the lady didn't like you, but because she was persuaded by the people around her. Quite a blow, isn't it? Well, that is the past of the pair in focus in this novel (this isn't really a spoiler because I saw this on the back of the book :P). So that is where the conflict, especially the internal conflict of Anne, stems from.

But I digress, since I was supposed to be talking about Anne's dashing naval officer. Hm, I guess I just would have to say, remember the part where I said I squealed like a teenager? Well, that was because of the prince charming's words. Goodness, when it comes to letters, this guy's is shorter than Mr. Darcy's, but I have to say I felt it more. In Mr. Darcy's defense, their letters are of quite different natures. But still... XD

Really, this novel, though quite shorter than other Jane Austen works I have read, is something that took a place in my heart. I honestly can't wait to read it again.

What is your favorite Jane Austen novel?

P.S. This review isn't as comprehensive as I wanted it to be, and may be a bit scattered. I totally blame the frog who threw me out of my wits tonight. Boo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment