Saturday, January 29, 2011

Zmeyette's Book #1: Archangel's Consort by Nalini Singh

I have decided to post an entry (not necessarily a review) for every book that I finish, as part of my 2011 reading challenge. I can't guarantee that this will be strictly followed, but hey, I'll try. 


~


When I decided on having my own 2011 reading challenge, I had already started reading Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian. Naturally, I thought it was the first book that I will finish this 2011. But then, of course, sometimes life just doesn't work that way, and things don't always go according to plan. Which, in my case was when my good friend Ana reminded me that Nalini Singh's Archangel's Consort is released this week. Thus, I got myself a copy, and then since coincidentally, I felt as if I had a lot of free time that day, I started reading it. And didn't stop until I finished the whole book .

The cover is awesome, isn't it?


Archangel's Consort is the last (I think) of three books in the Guild Hunter series, of which Elena Deveraux is the heroine. A lot of time has passed since I finished the last two books, so my memory was quite sketchy when it came to the story and especially the details of the series. Some came back in the course of reading the third book, but then overall it was not the most pleasant reading experience when you feel as if an event should mean more but you don't know or remember how exactly it does. This is why I'll have to read all three books again, just so I could really understand it. It's just that I couldn't help myself from finishing that book, and then, before I knew it, it was over.

This is why I am only posting an entry on the circumstances surrounding this 'steal' of the spot of the first book I finished this 2011, and not really giving away a lot of opinions or thoughts on the story. Because I'm not satisfied yet with my reading of the book. I know the third book, but I want proper closure from the trilogy. And that calls for a reread.

Just to give you an idea about the book, though, (since it's a bit cruel to not say anything about the book, not to mention totally unhelpful), as I've mentioned Elena Deveraux is the heroine of the story, and she is a vampire hunter. It sounds run-of-the-mill, but really, that job description is quite an understatement for her and for the story. The society in which the setting is set is really different, albeit the place is just New York. What is the difference? Aside from the vampires, which you can already glean from Elena's job title, there are angels in this story. And they're not  you're usual angels either, as they can be very, and I mean very, ruthless. Especially the archangels. One such example is Raphael, who is the archangel of New York. He's one unique character as well. It's also not your usual love story, and the relationship of these characters is something I like about this series.

I'm feeling a bit guilty for having neglected my The Historian so I'm actually reading it as of this moment, and hope to finish it soon (which might be unlikely since I'm only just about halfway done with the book). What I'm happy about is that at last, the ice has been broken, so to speak, and I've finally really started towards my goal of reading 50 books (at the very least) this year! Hopefully I can read more over the course of the year.

How about you? Do you have your own book challenge? If yes, how goes it?

No comments:

Post a Comment