Monday, July 12, 2010

The Potency of Words

Sole. Shall. May. Involving. Either-or.

What are these random words, you may ask?

Well, these random words have enough power to make or break someone's life, determine someone's fate, and drive an innocent student like me crazy.

Being a graduate of a degree in organizational communication, I already have an idea of the power words have. Words can convey a variety of different meanings, which can influence people in different ways. Words, when used properly, can have a really profound effect.

Still, sometimes you think you know something, but really, you don't.

During undergrad, whenever I used to recite, even if I don't have a shred of idea of what the topic really is about, a little bit of common sense and listening to the discussion are enough to get me by, and get me by with flying colors at that.

However, it's not so simple anymore.

Substitute may for shall? You're turning something mandatory into something permissive. Omit the word equally? You won't progress in your discussion. Don't know the possible meanings of the word sole when placed beside the word judge? Someone might just lose his case. Can't defend the proper use of either and or? A community might just lose its land. And a law student might just about go crazy reading 400++ pages worth of arguments.

Whenever we start our morning worship service in church, the different classes in our Sunday School will shout out different short statements that sum up their lesson for that day. Something like a motto for the day. We call it our "word power."

Indeed, words are very powerful.

1 comment:

  1. To have labels on a blog post such as law, law school, and life, are symptoms of being potent. LOL :D I'd rather post about L, Lawliet of Deathnote. LOL I am happy that you're really close to your dream of being a lawyer! Something I also dreamt about, but never got the urge to go with it. I decided, I'd rather break the laws than create it. LOL It's easier! Hahaha. :D Good luck, Leah! :D

    ReplyDelete