Sunday, January 29, 2012

Zmeyette's Books for 2012 #4: The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa


So, book no. 3 is The Iron King, but I don't feel like giving it a review. Maybe in the future, although I doubt that. Since I'm going with my "no pressure" theme from now on, I'm just posting what I want to, even if that means skipping some of the books I've read, because I'd rather have that sense of being disjointed and that lack of continuity rather than not writing and posting anything at all.

In any case, I shouldn't even be justifying myself. Hahaha.

So, here goes the 2nd installment in the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa, 'The Iron Daughter.'


The Iron Daughter (Iron Fey, #2)The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Ok, I've just finished reading The Iron Daughter and The Iron Queen in quick succession so I might not know which detail is from which book, and I might not be at my most coherent right now.

But I just have to write about this book.

In The Iron Daughter, Meghan Chase is at The Winter Court in fulfillment of her contract with Prince Ash. I got to say, her time her quite annoyed me. Meghan can be really stupid, and that made reading The Iron King difficult for me before. But in The Iron Daughter, I already have an idea of Meghan's character, so I continued on, even if her stupidity annoyed me so much, because looking at it objectively, it's actually valid for Meghan to be emotional and easily heartbroken and believe whatever treatment Ash gives her, since ultimately she's human. And part of what makes her an amazing character is this reality of her, that she's not some perfect character who sees everything for what it really is, who can be deceived and who can fall prey to her emotions, making some wrong decisions here and there because of it.

I just can't help getting annoyed, and maybe that in itself is a sign of the effectiveness of these books.

Moving on, Meghan gets caught up in another predicament, having been in the wrong place at the wrong time, which means being around when the Scepter of Seasons was stolen. This is the starting point for Meghan's new quest, which is to get the scepter back and stop the brewing war between the Summer and Winter courts that the theft has sparked.

Ok, at this point in this review I realize even more how much the details are blurred in my mind, so I'll just go straight to the reason why I just had to say something about this book.

Really, it's to pay homage to one character that really stood out to me throughout the entire book.

But before that, I would just like to note that since the end of the first book up to this book, I've been liking Puck's wit more and more.

And now to that character: Ironhorse.

This character, ever since he appeared in this book and till the end, all I kept saying about him as I read, was that he's such a precious one. He's a big giveaway, and just by observing how he acts around Meghan and how he treats her confirmed my suspicions that the successor to the throne of the Iron realm is, indeed, Meghan. But I love how Ironhorse never revealed it until the end, and how he chose to just support Meghan in any and every way he could, even beyond his death (but that's for the next book). I am awed by his loyalty, and even his actions against Meghan in the first book are justified because he's just like that, loyal to whoever is the Iron monarch.

Also, I just love how Puck never seems to get tired of calling Ironhorse various names.

I also enjoyed seeing Meghan and her new powers, and how she knows her priorities, and despite all of her shortcomings knows her values and will fight for the people she loves. Even if it is against another person she loves.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I also see how disjointed this "review" is. But suffice it to say that with this book, the Iron Fey series has really started to grow on me.

The ending was also quite heartbreaking but lovely, and was quite the twist, but you'll have to see it for yourselves, I guess. I'm not spoiling it here.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment