Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Zmeyette's Books for 2012 #2: Delirium by Lauren Oliver


Yes, yes, I haven't posted about what happened to the other books I've read last year. But I'm posting this now, to keep myself from stopping completely from posting anything. I am not going to stress myself too much about blogging, since the physical world is already stressful enough as it is. And this is book no. 2 because the first book I finished this 2012 was The Hunger Games, which was a reread. Anyway, enough of this, let's see about my latest read!


Delirium (Delirium, #1)Delirium by Lauren Oliver
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Amor deliria nervosa.


From the very start, the premise of this book has intrigued me, which is why I was so glad to have finally been able to read it. In the world Delirium, love, instead of being a "many splendored thing" is deemed to be a disease, and one that can actually be cured. This has led to a lot of changes in society and government. And this is the world Lena Haloway grew up in. In her world, upon reaching the age of 18, you get "cured," are paired off with someone suitable, and then assigned your place in the world. Good music, poetry, and art are not allowed. Sounds kinda boring, a bit sad, but then this is peace, this is order, and this is definitely better than the alternative: the chaos and the other dreaded effects of the disease called love, which can actually lead to death. So yeah, this is better. Here, all is well.


But of course not. Because Lena's world, and all her beliefs and core values are about to be shattered by that winking boy with amber eyes. Nothing will be the same again.


I really enjoyed reading this book. As I've mentioned, I was intrigued by the premise of this book, and I wasn't disappointed when I got to read the book. I enjoyed the way Lauren Oliver narrated the book, especially giving glimpses of the society Lena's in by starting every chapter with snippets from books and other such material  in that world, especially from The Safety, Health, and Happiness Handbook or The Book of Shhh). The way the people interacted, and how their worldview is really different, with the central premise of love being a disease, and it being unsafe, was really an interesting and refreshing thing to see.


All in all, I can't wait to see how the events will unfold, and I'm sure Lauren Oliver has a lot of twists up her sleeve. Excited for the next book!


I love you. Remember. They cannot take it.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment