Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Zmeyette's Book #5: Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

Mansfield Park (Collector's Library)Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

**Spoiler alert** (Sort of)

First off, I just have to say that I like Fanny Price alright. I just had to mention that because the usual complaint seems to be regarding Fanny Price as a character. And that is something that I don't really have much of an issue with. Granted, she's not my favorite Austen heroine, with Anne Eliott and Elizabeth Bennet still my favorites, but I don't dislike her.

Ok, so now that I have gotten that out of the way, what did I think of the book? It was ok for me, I guess. I was a bit uncomfortable with the fact that Edmund and Fanny are first cousins, because, well, in my time and place it's just illegal to get married if two people are that closely related, but since I'm assuming that it was perfectly normal and legal practice during Austen's time, I just went along with it. At times things seemed to be too dragging for me, but overall it was ok.

Mansfield Park is about Fanny Price, a girl who is taken in by her uncle and aunt to live with them, the Bertrams of Mansfield Park. Because of her lower status, she was quite neglected by most of the family who took her in, and though not really abused, their treatment of Fanny wasn't really the best that it could be. Mrs. Norris, Fanny's other aunt, was especially mean to her (I am actually wondering if this is where Rowling got the name for Filch's cat. Mrs. Norris here was certainly annoying.). The only person who really took notice and was kind to Fanny was Edmund, her cousin, and as they grew up, Fanny fell in love with him.

Things are shaken up with the arrival of the Crawford siblings, as Mary Crawford sets her sights on Edmund, and Henry proposes to Fanny (I think I paraphrased what was written in the jacket of the book.). Fanny agonizes with every passing day that Mary Crawford and Edmund might get engaged, while no one can understand why Fanny was so adamant in not accepting Henry Crawford's proposal when it seemed to be very favorable to her, what with Henry's status and connections, because no one knew of Fanny's secret love for Edmund.

I admit, I fell for Austen's trap. At some point in the book, I wanted Henry to win Fanny. Why? Because I think he really fell in love with Fanny, and for all his faults, I think it was sweet how he fell for Fanny and how in love he was. But alas, he's not the main character, and I think it was shown that his flaws really run deep, and so he really isn't fit for Fanny.

Although, don't get me wrong, I don't think Fanny is a perfect quiet girl. She also has her flaws, she's quite stubborn and well, she's in love, so I can see how she might be a bit biased against Mary Crawford, although she was ultimately right about her. Edmund too, obviously, since during the time he was in love with Mary Crawford he was also quite blind to her flaws.

I am just annoyed at the fact that Mary and Edmund's and Fanny and Henry's courtship went far longer than the main love story which was between Fanny and Edmund. I mean, what on earth? I would have liked to see it really develop, and the way I read it, it felt as if it was an afterthought, a blip in the end, a loose knot tied in a rush to end the thing. I would have thought that Fanny deserved better, but in the end it was as if she was still a second choice, or something like that. In that sense, I admire Henry Crawford more than Edmund Bertram. At least Henry was quick to see Fanny for the precious character that she is, it's just too bad that he let go of it. In that, he was stupid.

And again, I must clarify (because I am such a longwinded writer) that I like Edmund alright. He was nice to Fanny when everyone else took her for granted, and I really like those kinds of scenarios and characters. Oh, well...

All in all, not the best for me, but it was a good read. Gotta love Austen.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment