Monday, April 25, 2011

Zmeyette's Book #4: Coraline by Neil Gaiman

CoralineCoraline by Neil Gaiman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This morning, I was staring off into space, and my mind drifted off into thinking about Atonement (a sort of depressing territory), which led me to say out loud: "Atonement is haunting me." Books can really have such an effect on me. This is why even if I could have started reading another book last night, I couldn't, and wouldn't.


So today, I decided to read Coraline, with the hope that it's lighter than my other options, which are The Perks of Being a Wallflower and The Lovely Bones.


It was a light read for me, and since it was pretty short, I had to pause at times because I want to relish the story, and try to make it last longer. But the part of me which wants to devour stories as fast as possible won out in the end, and so it was also a relatively quick read for me.


Coraline is about a girl with the same name, and her creepy-to-the-point-of-scary adventure. I like what Neil Gaiman said about his book:


"It was a story, I learned when people began to read it, that children experienced as an adventure, but which gave adults nightmares."


Based on this, I am in some sort of in-between place, but which shows me that I am indeed stepping into adulthood, because I see the adventure part of it, and while reading it I have this sort of fearlessness and knowledge that everything will be alright in the end, but at the same time it really is quite frightening.


In this story, she discovers a strange world after opening a strange door in their flat, and there she finds her "other parents" along with "other people", and while at first everything was interesting and seemed to be better than her reality, in the end it turned into a mission to save her parents among others, and herself, with the help of a cat.


Somehow, it reminds me of Alice in Wonderland (although I've really yet to read the book), with the main character stumbling into a different world, and well, because of the cat. But I'm not really one to talk, because as I've mentioned, I haven't really read Alice in Wonderland yet. Those are just the elements that I am familiar with, based on what I see around me.


This was indeed, a refreshing read for me. I like it.


View all my reviews

P.S. If this review seems hurried, that's because, well, it is. I was also interrupted while writing this, so my thought process was disrupted. On to the next book! 

No comments:

Post a Comment